Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Glow in the Dark Bath Paint

In our house, bathtub time is play time. We are always looking for new ways to have fun. We have attempted shaving cream paint and a glow bath using glow sticks. Both were instant hits and are still often used. After seeing Growing a Jeweled Rose do a glow bath using a black light, I came up with the idea to try to make glowing shaving cream.

Here's what you need:
  • a black light (I felt quite flashback-y to high school when I bought a new one at Walmart for ten dollars).
  • Shaving cream foam
  • A non-toxic highlighter. I only used a yellow one, so I am not sure how reactive other colors will be. Please check to make sure that it says non-toxic, before attempting this. I noticed that not all highlighters advertise this.

I did set out paintbrushes with the paint, but L ended up forgoing them and using his hands. A little bit goes a long way with this paint. I simply squirted some shaving cream into a container and then took the highlighter apart. A couple of squishes of highlighter ink into the shaving cream, and a gentle stir  and we had our glowing bath paint!

Once we turned the black light on, and L could see the paint glowing, he shrieked and attacked it!


He started by using the paint brush, but that quickly got lost as he spread the paint as high as he could reach and as wide as he could go. As I mentioned before, I have a "vintage 80's" yellow tub, so there was no staining, but if you are concerned, I would test out a little spot prior to unleashing the kiddos.

Once he had covered as much area as he could in the tub, he became the canvas! He loved looking at himself in the mirror!


This was a blast and L talked about it for days. It is definitely worth a repeat quite soon!


3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I can't believe there is an activity that will help me get rid of the hoard of highlighters!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...