Friday, November 4, 2011

Making Potions

I may have mentioned a time or two, my little boy loves the Smurfs. As a matter of fact, it was the first movie he saw in the movie theater. He was Vanity Smurf for Halloween. He's also having a Smurf themed party this weekend to celebrate his third birthday. So, when I asked Logan if he wanted to pretend to be Papa Smurf and make some potions, he sprinted to the new set up. 

Before I explain, let's all pretend that I cleaned up behind him in this picture, please. The set up was fairly simple. I grabbed some of my Pyrex and added colored vinegar to each glass container.

Next, I supplied the little guy with some sort of container to add the baking soda. I thought an old dollar store salt shaker would be perfect. 

It did seem like a good idea, but it clearly was not fast enough for my little scientist.

The baking soda kept clogging up the salt shaker's holes, so I took the top off, and had him gently pour a little bit at a time into the containers. This yielded a much bigger and more fantastic result.

Next time I try this, I think I will add some plain colored water so that Logan can see that it doesn't always react the same way. As it was, this activity was a complete hit with my little smurf!

8 comments:

  1. I keep thinking how i NEED to do this but I also NEED to find the right items to make the project go smoothly...i have a daycare so it needs to be planned very carefully :)
    http://babiestoddlerspreschoolers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love his face (expression) when it bubbles up. I'd hold off on the science lesson a bit though (water and baking soda) he'll be like "Nothing even happened! This is so lame!" LOL looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun experiment! Thank you for sharing it at Crafty Moms Share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like lots of fun! My little ones would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun! We did something similar where I squirted lemon juice all over the counter and she spooned baking soda on top of the lemon juice. She loved it and it cleaned our counter at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ladies! Rebekah- I love that idea! Double duty, fun and cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! I love his two expressions...too slow and very cool! I'm going to share this on Facebook, if that's okay...if it's not, let me know and I'll pull it down!

    Carla @ Whole Child Creative Curriculum

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...